When there is no other category, General is the way to go.
celiagarridoh

TD Sigfox LAN network

by celiagarridoh Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:05 am

Dear all,

I have recently bought some TD Sigfox modules and I have set up a P2P LAN configuration. These are the ones I acquired: https://www.cooking-hacks.com/sigfox-radio-shield-for-arduino-868-mhz

I have some issues so I would like to request some information:

1) I have verified such a small coverage area (P2P communication cannot be achieved if some walls are interposed) and that seems to be quite short for Sigfox technology. I would like to know if this is, in fact, the expected coverage area or whether I am doing something wrong. I have set up Tx power to 14dBm and I am using Waspmote PRO API for Sigfox (examples: LAN_5_send_data_array" and "LAN_04_receive_multipacket").

2) Do TD 1207R modules base their P2P communications on IEEE 802.15.4? Where could I find more information?

Best Regards,
mstempin

Re: TD Sigfox LAN network

by mstempin Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:09 pm

The TD1207R modules actually support 2 communication modes:
  • LPWAN (Low-Power Wide Area Network), using an ultra-narrow band technology, able to reach over 15 km range using a 100 bps bitrate
  • LAN (Local Area Network), using a proprietary protocol in the 869 MHz ISM band using narrow band 25 kHz channels, reaching 300 m range in open field
However, these ranges are of course subject to basic RF physical propagation laws, and generally, getting out of a window will cost ~20 dBm on the link budget. As for the walls, it depends greatly on their exact nature, but a reasonable indoor range for the LAN is ~50 m. Of course, if your walls are thick concrete walls with metal frames, these act like a Faraday cage and will just prevent any propagation at all.
Return to General